Thursday, March 14, 2013

Let Yourself Cheer!

Ok, not going to lie moving home has not been the picnic that I thought it would be. I thought I would feel right at home right away. I thought that once we moved into the apartment and got a car we could just relax, chill with our families, and get right back into the swing of things.

Boy was I WRONG!

It's been an absolute mess! We got moved into the apartment with the help of Luke, Mike, El Padre, Mama, and Teenie (honorable mention to the Coats and Jones families who helped with bags and unpacking) and after that everything seemed to get more and more stressful. We needed to go to the store for this and then once we stepped foot back into our apartment we remembered that we needed to buy that which meant that we needed to spend more money and time trying to get ourselves settled. We bought a great car (thanks Jeff!) but the process was a little more complicated than expected and taking out a loan for a car is always a little painful especially when you've just moved home and you already feel like your money is draining faster than you can control and then top that all off with the emotional stress that comes from feeling ten steps behind and lost in your own life. It's just been a whirlwind of emotion, stress, and fatigue. Our dear families have been helping as much as they can by babysitting Brooklyn overnight so Ben and I can have a date (thanks Mama and Padre), booking us a two night getaway into the mountains for some fresh air and relaxation (thanks Dan and Jan), and driving 35 minutes just so Brooklyn can play with her cousins (thanks Melba) but we're still just trying to get our feet on the ground.

So, after celebrating pi day with Ben, Brooklyn, and some pizza (thanks Dominoes) Ben and I just sat and let ourselves be washed over by the television. At first we just watched sitcoms and mindlessly laughed at some stupid show or another but then my remote led us to the Utah vs Cal basketball game. Now I'm not much of a basketball fan, I'm more of a football girl myself, but when March rolls around I definitely get caught up in some of the madness which is the word I would use to describe the game tonight.
According to the announcers, Cal is one of the top teams in the country and, according to the little number in front of their name, Utah is the 10th ranked team in the PAC 12 (for those who don't know that the 10th worst of 12 teams in a conference). So tonight was supposed to be an easy win for Cal. Long story short, I tuned in halfway through the second half and watched as Utah climbed their way up the scoreboard to get within striking distance of Cal. Then I watched as an "at the buzzer" three point shot by a Ute sent the game into overtime. By the last minute of overtime I was cheering as the Utes defeated Cal 79-69. I was so happy and caught up in the game that I called my little bro (also a football fan) to tell him the results of the game. I called my parents when the game went into overtime because it was such a great game that I just wanted everyone I know to cheer alongside me (figuratively of course). I even tried to get a hold of my brother-in-law Jacob (the only real basketball fan I know)so I could tell him about the game. It was just so exciting to hope and cheer for something that I couldn't control.

Why do I tell this story: Because it has been a rough couple of weeks in the Isaac home. Moving, packing, buying, selling, juggling, running, working and starting over just take a toll on your spirits and tonight I learned that sometimes you just need to forget about the troubles your facing and cheer. Get excited about something that you can't control. Watch a game, pick a team and hold your breath while they duke it out with their opponents because win or lose it won't really matter to you in the end. What will matter is that heart-pounding, breath-holding feeling that you experience as you forget about your problems and lose yourself in a game. Your problems won't disappear during the game but, at least for a moment, you'll forget about your problems. So find something that you can get excited about people. Find something you can't control and lose yourself in it for a while. Let yourself cheer!

No comments:

Post a Comment